Tingly Chicken and Greens Noodle Bowls
This is a super-healthy, really delicious chicken soup with rice noodles and lots of dark leafy greens.
- 1 cup English (seedless) or seeded regular cucumbers, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- A sprinkle of sugar (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled, then grated or finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground or cracked Szechuan peppercorns
- 1-2 teaspoons Sriracha or other hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or peanut oil
- 4 cups chicken stock (32 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or liquid amino (use liquid amino to make this recipe gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce or salt, to taste
- 1 large bunch rainbow or regular Swiss chard, stems removed and leaves coarsely torn
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 8-10 ounces wide rice noodles or egg noodles
- Lime wedges, for serving
In a medium size bowl, sprinkle the cucumbers with some salt and sugar; toss to coat and set aside.
In another medium size bowl, combine the chicken, garlic, ginger, Szechuan peppercorns and Sriracha. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the chicken mixture and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Add the stock, 1 cup water, soy sauce and fish sauce. Stir, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to a low simmer; add the chard and scallions and stir until the chard is just wilted, about 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook the noodles, according to the package directions. Divide among bowls. Top with the chicken mixture and cucumbers and serve with the lime wedges.