Tuna Melt Pressed Panini
Try serving this tasty panini with Warm Penne Pasta Salad alongside.
- 2 tins Italian tuna (5.6 ounces), drained
- 1 can artichoke bottoms or hearts in water (14 ounces), drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed soft sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted Italian or kalamata black olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup caper berries, sliced or halved or 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a handful), finely chopped
- 2 large shallots or 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced provolone cheese, divided
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, split lengthwise horizontally
Heat a panini press or cast iron skillet for pressing the sammie. If using a skillet, you will need another heavy skillet to press with, or a brick wrapped in foil.
Flake the tuna into a bowl. Add the chopped artichokes, sundried tomatoes, olives, caper berries or capers, parsley, shallots and arugula. Dress with lemon juice and liberal drizzle of EVOO. Mix to combine the salad thoroughly; season with pepper, to taste.
Arrange half of the cheese, overlapping the slices, on the bottom half of the ciabatta bread. Top with the salad in an even layer, then arrange the remaining cheese and top with bread. Cut the loaf into four sections and press a few minutes to melt the cheese and heat through.