This is basically just finely chopped tuna salad. I served it with toast points.
- 1 (6-ounce) can line-caught albacore tuna (water-packed and no-salt-added), drained
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3 to 4 tablespoons good EVOO
- 1 small rib celery with a leafy top, minced
- 1 bulb baby fennel, minced
- 1/4 red onion, very finely chopped or grated
- 1 red Fresno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated on a zester
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 10 to 12 oil-cured black olives, pitted and minced
- 1 or 2 tablespoons capers, minced
- Pepper or Rachael Ray Seafood Seasoning
- 1/2 cup giardiniera (Italian hot pickled vegetables) , minced into a fine relish
In a bowl, combine the tuna, lemon juice, and EVOO and mash it really, really, really well. Add the celery, fennel, onion, chile, garlic, parsley, olives, and capers and mash all that together with a little black pepper and keep mashing it with a fork until it looks almost like a pâté.
Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish and smooth the top. Put the giardiniera in a little line down the center.