Tuna Puttanesca and Penne
- 1 pound penne
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Two cans tuna packed in olive oil, lightly drained (6 ounces each)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
- A handful of kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- One can diced Italian tomatoes (28 ounces)
- Flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (a generous handful)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
While the pasta is working, heat a deep skillet over medium heat with the EVOO, one turn of the pan. Add the tuna, flaking it with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the capers and olives and heat until warmed through, 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and parsley, lower the heat a little and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add a ladle of the pasta cooking liquid to the sauce. Drain the pasta, add it to the sauce and toss.