Tuna Steaks Provencale
- 4 1-inch-thick tuna steaks (6-8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons dried herbes de Provence or chopped dried thyme, sage and rosemary
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 long slices good-quality ham, such as French Bayonne or Spanish serrano ham
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 onion or 2 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 vine-ripe or plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- Black olives, such as niçoise or kalamata, pitted and chopped (a generous handful),
- A couple generous handfuls of flat leaf parsley, chopped
Season the tuna with the herbes de Provence, lemon peel, salt and pepper. Wrap the ham around the tuna and secure with a wooden toothpick. In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the tuna and cook, turning once, until medium, 8 minutes. Transfer to a board to rest.
Return the pan to the heat and add the remaining EVOO, one turn of the pan, the onion and garlic and cook until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, capers, olives and half the parsley; toss. Spoon one quarter of the sauce onto each plate, set the tuna on top and sprinkle with the lemon juice and remaining parsley.