Tuna Steaks with Raw Puttanesca Sauce
Keep the heat out of the kitchen with this raw sauce and quick-cooking tuna. You can also make this meal with chicken or portabello mushrooms. Serve with dark greens out of the summer garden, such as spinach or kale.
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste or 4 anchovy filets, minced (optoinal)
- About 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 1/4 cup oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 10-12 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tuna steaks (6 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
Whisk up the anchovies and 3 tablespoons EVOO, poured slowly. Add the tomatoes, capers, olives, parsley, red onion, basil, garlic and red pepper flakes; stir and let stand for 30 minutes.
Heat a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Drizzle the fish with the remaining olive oil, about 1 tablespoon, and season with salt and pepper. Cook the fish for 2 minutes on each side for rare, up to 4 minutes on each side for more opaque fish.
Slice the tuna, then arrange on plates and top with lots of raw sauce.