Turkey Croque Monsieurs or Madames with Cranberry-Rosemary Relish
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 bag fresh cranberries, about 3/4 pound
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 rounded tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 6 slices peasant-style bread, cut into thin oval slices 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick
- 1 pound sliced turkey breast, leftover or store-bought from deli, hand-sliced thin but not too thin
- 2 cups shredded Fontina Val d’Aosta or Gruyère
- A few handfuls baby kale or arugula, to garnish
- 6 eggs, cooked over-easy or sunny-side up (if preparing Croque Madames)
- Melted butter
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Place cranberries, sugar, water and rosemary in a pot with a pinch of salt. Bring to boil and cook berries to form a thickened sauce, about 15 minutes at a rapid simmer. Remove from heat.
In another small saucepot, melt butter. Whisk in flour and milk, and add crushed garlic if using; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Stir in Parm.
Place bread slices out on a baking sheet and top with the white sauce, some sliced turkey and shredded Fontina or Gruyère. Transfer to oven and bake to golden.
Top with small handful of greens and eggs, if making Croque Madames. Serve additional sauce alongside.