Turkey in Eight Pieces
Cut the five-hour cooking time of a 20-pound turkey to an hour and a half!
- 6 carrots, chopped into large chunks
- 5 celery ribs, chopped into large chunks
- 1 softball-size onion, chopped into large dice
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 20-pound turkey
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), softened
- 3 tablespoons grill seasoning
- 3 tablespoons poultry seasoning
Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
Place veggies on bottom of roasting pan. Add the whole peeled garlic cloves, sprigs of thyme and bay leaf; set aside till later. Cut turkey into six pieces or have your butcher do it for you so that you have two breasts with wings attached, two drumsticks and two thighs.
Rub the turkey with softened butter and season with grill and poultry seasonings. Place the breasts and wings on top of veggies in roasting pan. Pop them into the oven and set timer for 35 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, add the thighs and drumsticks and reset timer for 60 minutes. The whole turkey should take 1 hour and 35 minutes to cook (internal temperature should reach 160°F).