Turkey Meatloaf Burgers
Turkey meatloaf cheeseburgers are a fall delight with cranberry-sour cream dressing and onions.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 small or 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 small McIntosh apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (a rounded handful)
- 1 pound ground turkey with some or all dark meat, not all breast
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (2/3 palmful)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 medium egg
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 4 slices sharp white cheddar, for topping the burgers
- 4 sandwich-size sourdough English muffins
- 1/3 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 4 thin slices raw red onion
- 4 red leaf or red romaine lettuce leaves
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter and add the chopped onion, celery and apple, then season with salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes under a loose foil tent. Stir in the breadcrumbs and transfer to a bowl to cool a bit. Add the meat, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, parsley, mustard and the egg and mix. Form four burgers. Wipe out the skillet and heat a liberal drizzle of EVOO in it over medium-high heat. Cook the patties for 11-12 minutes, until cooked through. Melt the cheddar over the tops of the burgers during the last minute or two of cooking.
While the burgers cook, toast the split English muffins under the broiler or in the toaster.
In a small bowl, mix together the cranberry sauce, sour cream and chives.
Serve the burgers on the English muffins with red onion, lettuce and the cranberry sauce.