Turkey Pie with Corn Topper
Cheese, cranberries and orange zest add tons of flavor to polenta that tops a turkey and veggie mix.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3-4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock (32 ounces), divided
- 1-1 1/2 pounds cooked turkey, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries or whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Pre-heat the broiler.
In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat the EVOO and 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots, onion, bay leaf and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Partially cover the pan to sweat the vegetables, 7-8 minutes. Sprinkle the veggies with the flour and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in 2 1/2 cups chicken stock and cook until thickened. Add the turkey and heat through. Lower the heat to a simmer.
Meanwhile, simmer the remaining 1 1/2 cups stock and the milk. Whisk in the polenta to thicken, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cranberries (or sauce) and orange zest, then the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and half of the cheddar.
Spread the polenta over the turkey mixture; top with the remaining cheddar. Broil for 1-2 minutes.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit