Turkey Poppers Rellenos
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 6 large poblano peppers
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (leftovers or mash 3 medium, boiled Russet potatoes with butter and stock or milk, season with salt and pepper)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, 1 red, 1 green, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small, 3-ounce brick cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups gravy (leftover or whisk together 2 tablespoons butter and flour, add 2 cups turkey stock, thicken, add salt, pepper and Worcestershire to taste)
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey (leftover or rotisserie turkey breast)
Char and blister poblanos under broiler on high or over the flame on a gas stovetop. Place in a bowl and cover to cool. Peel peppers and cut them lengthwise, remove the seeds. Arrange them on the bottom of a casserole dish.
Warm the potatoes in the microwave to loosen them up a bit if you’re using leftovers. Add garlic, peppers, cumin, cream cheese, half the cheddar and half the pepper jack to the potatoes and mix to combine. Fill the peppers with the potatoes, about 1/2 cup per potato.
Heat gravy in a skillet to loosen it up and add in turkey to coat. Fill peppers with potatoes and spoon turkey over them. Top turkey with remaining cheese and bake until brown and bubbly, 20-30 minutes.