Turkey Ragu Cowboy Spaghetti
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 slices smoky, meaty bacon, diced
- 1 pound leftover turkey, chopped
- 1 teaspoon each ground coriander, cumin, Mexican oregano and cinnamon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup lager beer or white wine
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Grated sharp yellow cheddar, for garnish
- 1 white onion, finely chopped, for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Heat a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, one turn of the pan then add the bacon. Cook, stirring often, until the bacon is crispy at the edges, 3-5 minutes. Add the turkey and spices, and stir until the meat is crispy at the edges, about 3 minutes. Add the onion, jalapeños and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions soften, 7-8 minutes. Add the beer or wine and the Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and beans, reduce the heat to medium and let the ragu simmer, stirring occasionally until the flavors meld, about 15 minutes.
Salt the boiling pasta water, add the pasta and cook to al dente. Add a mug of starchy cooking water to the ragu, drain pasta and add to the sauce. Serve topped with cheese and onion.