Turkey Schnitzel with Tots and Apple-Cranberry Sauce
Apple-cranberry sauce kicks up the taste of turkey and taters.
- 4 cups frozen puffed potatoes, such as Ore-Ida brand Tater Tots
- 4 McIntosh apples, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries (a generous handful)
- Flour, for coating
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (about a palmful)
- About 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 turkey breast cutlets, pounded 1/8-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 lemon wedges
Bake the potatoes according to the package directions until golden and crisp.
In a large saucepan, bring the apples, cider and cranberries to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook, mashing the apples into a sauce, for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs on three separate plates. Season the breadcrumbs with the poultry seasoning and nutmeg. Season the turkey cutlets with salt and pepper and coat them in the flour, then in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs.
In a large skillet, heat a quarter-inch of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the cutlets two at a time and fry, turning once, until deep golden and cooked through, 5-8 minutes. Serve with the lemon wedges, potatoes and apple-cranberry sauce.