Two Sauce Weeknight Lasagna
Serve with Greens and Beans Salad.
- 1 pound Campanelle pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 pound pancetta, a couple of thick slices, chopped
- 3/4 pound ground beef pork and veal mix or ground beef
- 1/2 large carrot, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1 small to medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 chopped or grated, 1 peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice, a couple of pinches
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- Nutmeg, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus some to pass at table
Heat large pot of water to a boil, salt water and cook pasta to al dente.
While pasta water comes to a boil, heat EVOO in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, add pancetta and render 2-3 minutes then add meat and break up as it browns. When the meat has begun to caramelize and develops a nice brown color, 4-5 minutes, add carrot, onion, 2 cloves of garlic, allspice, salt and pepper and a bay leaf. Cook 3-4 minutes more to soften onions and carrots bits then stir in tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in wine and cook out 1 minute then stir in stock and reduce heat to simmer.
While red sauce cooks, cut remaining whole clove of garlic and rub the inside of a medium sauce pot with it. Melt butter in pot over medium heat. Add in flour and whisk together a minute or so then whisk in milk and bring to a bubble, reduce heat then season sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg, thicken 8-10 minutes.
Toss pasta with white sauce and 1/2 cup grated cheese. Serve pasta in individual bowls and top with a ladle of meat sauce in the middle of the bowl for mixing in. Garnish with parsley.