Vanilla Ice Cream with Balsamic Fig Sauce
Serve this delectable dessert with a Sweet and Savory Menu: Rosemary Corn Cakes with Prosciutto and Chicken Sausages with Hot and Sweet Peppers.
- 2 pints vanilla bean ice cream
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1/2 cup water (eyeball it)
- 10 dried Mission figs or 20 baby Mission figs, chopped
- 1 canister prepared real whipped cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
Place the ice cream on the counter to soften. In a small pot, combine the vinegar and water and bring to a boil. Add the figs and reduce the heat to simmer. Stew the figs in the sauce until they are soft and the sauce is thick and syrupy, about 12 minutes.
Scoop the ice cream into glass goblets or other dessert dishes and top liberally with the hot balsamic fig sauce and whipped cream. Garnish the top of the whipped cream with a little freshly grated nutmeg.