Veg-Head Three-Bean Chili
This great Tex-Mex pleaser is another vegetarian happy medium to please meat eaters and vegetarians alike. You can add other veggies too like frozen corn and spinach as seen here.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 cup pale beer or vegetable stock/broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounce)
- 1 can black beans (14 ounce)
- 1 can dark red kidney beans (14 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne hot pepper sauce (several drops)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup spicy vegetarian refried beans
- 8 ounces spicy Monterey Jack or smoked cheddar cheese (2 cups), shredded
- Scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- Fresh seeded plum tomato, diced
- Blue and red corn tortilla chips or black bean tortilla chips, for dipping
Over moderate heat, add two tablespoons EVOO, two turns around the pan, to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften vegetables. Deglaze pan with beer or broth, add tomatoes, black beans and red kidney beans and stir to combine.
Season chili with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans. Simmer over low heat about 5-10 minutes longer, then serve up bowls of chili and top with shredded cheese, scallions, and fresh tomato. Place bowls on charger plates piled with assorted tortilla chips.