This recipe serves four as an entrée. For a larger meal, serve with Moroccan Rub Lamb Chops.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 zucchini, diced
- 1/4 yellow squash, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (1/2 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (1/3 palmful)
- 2 1/4 cups couscous
- 1 vine-ripe plum tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Mediterranean flat bread, for passing
Heat a large saucepot over medium-high heat. Add EVOO, bay leaf, onion, zucchini and yellow squash to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring frequently, 7-8 minutes. Add pumpkin and broth to the pan and stir to combine. Add cumin and coriander. Bring broth to a boil.
Add couscous to the broth, stir, cover and remove from heat. Let stand five minutes. Remove lid from the pot and fluff couscous with a fork. Remove bay leaf from the pan. Add finely chopped tomato, cilantro and parsley, toss again with fork to combine and transfer to a serving platter.
Serve with warm Mediterranean flat breads.