Vegetarian Chickpea Burgers
- One can chickpeas (15 ounces), rinsed and drained
- One can diced green chilies (4 ounces)
- 2/3 cup packed flat leaf parsley leaves
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 thin slices cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- Dijon mustard, ketchup or mayonnaise, for serving
In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas, green chilies and parsley until finely chopped. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the egg and form the mixture into four patties, each about 2/3-inch thick.
In a large skillet or grill pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-low heat. Cook the burgers for four minutes, then flip and cook them for 3 minutes more. Top the patties with the cheese slices for the last minute of cooking. Serve the cheeseburgers on the hamburger buns with mustard, ketchup or mayonnaise.