Vinegar Carrots with Toasted Sesame Seeds
Wonderfully fresh and delightful recipes are in Louisa Shafia’s newest cookbook, The New Persian Kitchen. Beautiful colors, intense flavors and nutritious ingredients are found in all the dishes.
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds (white or black)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sea salt
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, cut lenthwise into thin ribbons
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, tightly packed
Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the sesame seeds and alternate between shaking the pan and stirring the seeds. When the seeds start to pop, after a couple of minutes, transfer them to a plate and let cool to room temperature.
In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, vinegars, honey, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, and 1 teaspoon salt. Pour the dressing over the carrots, add the cilantro, and toss well. Season with salt, to taste, and serve.