White Bean, Tuna and Potato Salad
Take this irresistible combo of potatoes, Italian tuna, beans and more to your next picnic or party.
- 1 1/2 pounds small white or Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion, 1/2 grated and 1/2 chopped, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or finely chopped and pasted
- About 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- A splash of white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- One can white beans (15 ounces), such as cannellini, rinsed
- Two cans Italian tuna in olive oil (5-6 ounces each), drained and flaked
- 2-3 small ribs celery from the heart, plus leafy tops, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves (a few generous handfuls), chopped
- Crusty bread, for serving
Place the potatoes in a medium size pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the grated onion, garlic, EVOO, lemon juice, anchovy paste and vinegar. Drain the potatoes and add them immediately to the dressing, turning to coat. Add the white beans, tuna, chopped onion, celery, tomato and parsley; season with pepper. Toss to combine. Serve with the bread.