White Chili with Nacho Top
For casual entertaining try this white, light chicken chili with classic chili toppings.
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast or ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin (a couple of scant palmfuls)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander (a palmful and a half)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, a blend, such as Gebhardt’s or mild, such as ancho
- Salt and pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh chili pepper, such as a jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3-4 tomatillos, finely chopped
- About 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 can white kidney beans (14 ounces), drained
For the toppers:
- Multi-grain tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese, such as Monterey Jack or cheddar
- Sliced pickled jalapeño peppers
- Chopped scallions or red onions
- Chopped cilantro, tomatoes and/or lettuce
Heat the oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the meat and brown and crumble; season with cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and pepper. Once browned, add the carrots, celery, onion, peppers, garlic and tomatillos. Cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to soften. Add the stock and beans and simmer uncovered to thicken.
Pre-heat the broiler; place the rack in the center of the oven.
Place the chili in bowls arranged on a baking sheet. Top the bowls of chili with the chips and cheese; place in the oven and broil to melt. Top with the jalapeño slices, scallions, cilantro, tomatoes and lettuce or other toppings of your choice.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit