White Gazpacho with Grilled Shrimp
Smoky grilled shrimp is the star of this gazpacho that’s perfect as a starter for your summer entertaining.
- 2 green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small bulb fennel, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 small romaine heart, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 mild green pepper, such as cubanelle-seeded, ribs removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 thick slice stale bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 3 tablespoons) or 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- A handful of fresh mint
- A few sprigs thyme, leaves stripped
- A few basil leaves or tarragon sprigs with leaves, stripped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeño or Serrano chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 18 large shrimp-peeled and deveined, with tails left on
Heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan over medium-high.
In a blender, working in batches if necessary, puree all the ingredients, except for the salt, pepper and shrimp. (You may need to thin it with water.) Season with salt and pepper.
Season the shrimp and grill until opaque in the center and charred in spots, 2 minutes per side. Serve alongside the gazpacho. Garnish the soup with extra chopped herbs and veggies.