Yakitori Noodle Bowls
Try serving these noodles with Asian Cucumber Spinach Salad on the side.
- 1 pound soba noodles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated or finely minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed of roots and cut into 2-inch pieces on an angle
- 1/3 cup dry sherry (eyeball it)
- 1/3 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Place a large pot of water over high heat for the noodles. Once the water is boiling, add some salt and the noodles and cook, according to the package directions. Drain thoroughly.
While the water is coming up to a boil, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of vegetable oil, about 2 tablespoons. Toss the chicken with the grated ginger and season with some pepper. Add the chicken to the hot skillet, spread it out in an even layer and let it brown up for a couple of minutes.
Shake and stir the skillet to turn the chicken pieces, then add the scallions, sherry, Tamari (eyeball it), sugar and sesame oil, bring up to a bubble and simmer for one minute.
Add the drained noodles to the skillet and toss to combine. To serve, transfer to serving bowls and sprinkle with some of the toasted sesame seeds. Try serving with Asian Cucumber Spinach Salad alongside.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.