Yellow Chicken and Rice
This colorful dish is simple and tasty!
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads (about 2 pinches)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, cut in half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3-1/2 cup broken spaghetti (a couple of handfuls)
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 bay leaf
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A pinch of of turmeric
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
Place a medium size pot over medium heat with the saffron and chicken stock. Bring them up to a simmer and reserve warm.
Place a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon, and 1 tablespoon butter. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper and cook in the pan until golden brown, 4-5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a plate and reserve, covered with foil.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the pan. Add the pasta to the pan and cook until toasted and golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Add the rice to the pan, tossing to coat in the butter, along with the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the bay leaf, cinnamon, turmeric, saffron-infused stock and reserved chicken to the pan. Bring the liquid up to a bubble, cover the pan, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Stir in the peas and parsley, remove and discard the bay leaf, and serve.