Zesty Green Bean Stew
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 to 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 1/2-inch cubes/large bite-sized pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 rib celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 palmful
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes, a couple pinches
- About 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds trimmed green beans, halved or cut into thirds
- 1 can Italian tomatoes, crushed by hand or with wooden spoon
Heat oil, three turns of the pan, in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and lightly brown. Add onions, celery and garlic; season with salt, pepper, spices and thyme, and stir to combine. Let soften 7-8 minutes then add stock, beans and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook 45-60 minutes.
Serve stew in shallow bowls with grilled garlic Naan bread or toasted peasant bread slathered with garlic butter and sprinkled with parsley and salt.