Bacon-Wrapped Brats with Red Cabbage
Fall flavors combine for a sensational meal!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound red cabbage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup sugar or light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 3 crisp apples, such as Braeburn, Liberty or Gala, diced
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed or caraway seed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 wurst or brat sausages of your favorite variety
- 12 slices lean, center-cut smoky bacon
- Mustards and pickles, to pass at the table
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and let soften a couple of minutes, then wilt in the cabbage. Toss with the sugar and vinegar to coat; season with salt and pepper. Add the apples, raisins, cumin or caraway seed, cinnamon stick and bay leaves; reduce the heat to medium and cover. Cook to tender, and when the liquids come out of the cabbage, 30 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
Remove the sausages and dry them. Wrap each of them with one slice of bacon, overlapping as you work. Arrange the bacon-wrapped sausages on a slotted broiler pan and bake to crisp, around 30 minutes.
Serve the sausages with the cabbage, buttered rye or pumpernickel bread, or some buttered egg noodles tossed with herbs like dill, chives and parsley. Pass the mustards and pickles at table.