Bagna Cauda Cauliflower Pasta
Enliven fresh cauliflower with a creamy garlic sauce. Toss with a wide noodle pasta and garnish with fresh parsley.
- 2 heads (about 24 cloves) hard-neck or purple garlic, separated into cloves with the skin on
- Fine sea salt and black pepper
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle or fettuccine pasta
- 1 large head white, purple or yellow cauliflower, cored
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 20 flat anchovy fillets (from two 2 ounce tins or one 4 ounces jar)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pint heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
In a small saucepan of salted water, simmer the garlic for 20 minutes. Drain and let cool, then peel and mash into a paste; season with sea salt.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
While the pasta is working, place the cauliflower in a medium size pot or Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. Add 1 inch water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer until tender, 10-12 minutes. Drain and separate into small florets.
In a medium size saucepan, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the anchovies and stir until they melt into the oil. Add the butter, cream and garlic paste; season with salt and pepper. Stir until it thickens.
Toss the pasta with the cauliflower, cream sauce and half of the parsley. Top with the remaining parsley.