Baked Beans with Bacon and Red Onions
These are the best baked beans you’ll ever have, bar none! Great for picnics and barbecues, or as a side dish for dinner.
- 6 cups prepared barbecued baked beans, any brand (the large can)
- 3 slices bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, a couple of handfuls
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
Pour beans into casserole dish and place in oven.
In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, 2-3 minutes. Add onions and cook three minutes longer. Slide the beans out of the oven. Scatter the onions and bacon around the beans. Sprinkle the brown sugar and black pepper over the onions.
Bake beans with toppings 10 minutes longer. Garnish the beans with parsley and serve.