Big Beefy Mushroom Cheddar Melts
For a marvelous meatless burger, try grilled marinated mushrooms topped with melted cheddar and lettuce and tomato
on a toasted brioche roll.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) (count to 8 while slowly pouring)
- 1/3 cup dry sherry (count to 6 while slowly pouring)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (count to 4 while slowly pouring)
- Sea salt and coarse black pepper
- 4 large, firm portobello mushroom caps (at least 1-inch thick), gills scrapped and caps sliced horizontally into 2 disks
- 8 slices extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 4 brioche rolls, lightly toasted
- 4 thick slices heirloom tomato
- A couple of handfuls of watercress or other spicy greens
- Salt-and-vinegar potato chips
Pour EVOO, sherry, Worcestershire and pepper into a dish and mix with your fingers or a whisk. Turn each mushroom disk a few times in the sauce as you add them to the dish; season with sea salt. Let marinate 30-45 minutes, turning occasionally.
Pre-heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the mushrooms, turning once, until well marked, 4-6 minutes.
Make 4 stacks in this way: mushroom disk, cheese slice, mushroom and cheese. Place on the grill until the cheese melts, 1 minute. Transfer the stacks to the roll bottoms and top with the tomato slices; season with salt and pepper. Add the greens. Slather the bun tops with the mustard and set in place. Serve with the chips.