Blackened Chicken Pizza with Yellow Tomato Salsa
A healthier twist on pizza, and the flavor is even better! This pizza can also be cut into smaller pieces for a creative, colorful appetizer.
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Grill Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cayenne pepper
- 3/4 pound thin cut chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- All-purpose flour or cornmeal, a couple of tablespoons to work dough
- Store-bought pizza dough (enough for 2 pizzas) or 2 medium pizza crusts
- 1/2 pound brick reduced fat cheddar cheese with jalapeño or chipotle pepper, such as Cabot brand
- 2 small yellow tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 lime, zested and juiced
Pre-heat a large heavy skillet over very high heat. Pre-heat oven to 450°F.
Combine grill seasoning, paprika, chili powder and cayenne pepper on a plate. Press thin cut chicken into seasoning on one side. Add oil to screaming hot pan and cook chicken two minutes on each side. Turn off stove and allow chicken to start cooling down.
Spread out a little flour or cornmeal and stretch out pizza dough onto a pizza pan. Shred reduced fat cheese.
Remove chicken from pan and chop.
Make the salsa: combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, cilantro and thyme. Make garlic paste by chopping garlic then mashing it with the flat of your knife and a generous pinch of coarse salt. Add paste to salsa. Add zest and juice of 1/2 lime and mix salsa thoroughly.
Scatter chicken, salsa and cheese over pizza dough, working to the edges of both pies. Bake 12-15 minutes, until crisp and bubbly-brown on top.