Blue Chilaquiles Verde with Eggs
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 8 tomatillos
- 1 small white onion, quartered
- 4 fat cloves garlic, cracked
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- A small handful cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- 1 package good quality blue corn tortilla chips, preferred brand Que Pasa
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup sour cream
- Butter, for cooking eggs
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup queso fresco crumbles
- Finely chopped green onion
- Green Tabasco or other green hot sauce, such as Bronx Hot Sauce
Heat broiler and place a rack in the upper third of the oven.
Lightly spray tomatillos, onions, jalapeños and garlic with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Char and cook under the broiler to just-tender, add to food processor and season with salt. Add juice of 1 lime, cumin, oregano, thyme, cilantro, agave and purée salsa; adjust salt. Transfer to a bowl, and rinse out food processor.
Arrange a single layer of blue tortillas (about 4 servings) on a baking sheet and top with Pepper Jack, bake to crisp tortillas and melt cheese.
In the food processor, combine avocado, sour cream, juice of remaining lime and salt. Purée until creamy.
Arrange and divide the chips among 4 plates.
Cook eggs over-easy to medium. Top tortillas with some of the warm salsa and place eggs over chips. Garnish with queso crumbles, scallions, avocado cream and green hot sauce.