Bourbon Barbecue Sliced Steak Sliders
For the Bourbon Barbecue Sauce:
- 2 shots good-quality bourbon
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin (a scant 1/3 palmful)
- A pinch of ground cloves or allspice
- Coarse black pepper
For the steaks:
- 1 1/2 pounds flat-iron steaks or flank steak
- Vegetable oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup beef stock
- 12 soft slider rolls, split
For the barbecue sauce, combine all the barbecue sauce ingredients a medium size skillet and bring to a low bubble. Simmer gently and reduce for 20 minutes.
While the sauce reduces, drizzle the meat lightly with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Bring the meat to room temperature.
Heat a cast iron pan or griddle or grill pan over medium-high to high heat. Cook the steaks for 4 minutes on each side and let rest. Thinly slice the meat on an angle against the grain and add to the skillet with the barbecue sauce, along with the beef stock, to combine the meat with the sauce.
Serve the sliced meat on soft rolls topped with Pickled Onions, Peppers and Cucumbers and Apple Slaw alongside.