Caesar Salad with Fried Ravioli
This version of a classic Caesar replaces croutons with fried ravioli.
- 1 pound large ravioli, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese for coating ravioli, plus a handful for salad dressing
- Salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- A few shots of hot sauce, such as Tabasco brand
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 3 hearts of romaine, chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for ravioli. Salt water and cook a minute less than package directions for either fresh or frozen pasta, then drain thoroughly. Heat about three tablespoons EVOO in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Combine cornmeal, 1/2 cup of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and lots of black pepper on a plate. Coat the drained ravioli in the cornmeal and cheese mixture. Shake off excess and fry the ravioli until golden on each side, 4-5 minutes total. Remove them to a paper towel-lined plate and season with some salt.
For the salad, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, grated garlic, mustard, anchovy paste, hot sauce and Worcestershire; stream in the EVOO, about five tablespoons. Coat the romaine in dressing then season with pepper and a handful of grated cheese. Top salad with crispy ravioli and serve.