Cheesy Risi e Bisi
Rich and creamy, the peas add flavor and texture (not to mention a serving of veggies!) to this recipe.
Making this rice is better than an hour at the gym because you’ll need to stir-stir-stir to get it just right. –RR
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3-4 cups chicken stock (1 quart box), available on soup aisle at the grocery store
- 1/4-1/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano (a generous handful)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup tiny frozen peas
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add EVOO and garlic and onion and sauté, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes. Add rice and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook another minute or so, then add wine and let it completely absorb, about 30 seconds. Add about one cup chicken stock and stir. Reduce heat a bit to medium. Stir often and continue adding a half cup of liquid each time liquid becomes completely absorbed. Cook 22 minutes, using as much stock as is necessary to result in creamy-consistency rice with a bite to it.
When rice is cooked to desired consistency, remove from heat and stir in cheese, parsley and peas and stir to combine and to heat peas through.