Chicken and Apple Pot Pies
Surprise your family with this super easy and creative recipe for pot pies.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, white or dark meat, diced into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 Empire, Gala or Honey Crisp apples, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 small ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 sheet store-bought puff pastry dough, defrosted (if frozen)
- 1 egg, beaten with water
Pre-heat the oven to 400˚F.
Heat the EVOO in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown for 7-8 minutes, then remove to a plate.
Add the butter and melt. Add the apples, celery, onion, bay, thyme, salt and pepper and cook to soften, 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, stir for 1 minute, then whisk in the cider and stock. Slide the chicken back into the pan and simmer a few minutes to thicken the sauce.
Place the chicken and sauce in a casserole dish or in individual casserole dishes arranged on baking sheet to catch drips. Cover with the pastry dough, brush with the egg wash and bake until golden.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.