Chicken Cutlets with Herbs
Serve with Sautéed Greens n’ Shrooms.
- 1/2 loaf baguette bread, day old is fine
- 2 chicken breasts, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1 large egg
- Several sprigs fresh thyme, leaves finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- A handful fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for sautééing the chicken cutlets
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Tear the bread into pieces and place on a baking sheet. Toast the bread until it is deep golden brown, 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and coarsely grind into breadcrumbs.
While the bread toasts, pound out the chicken breasts to 1/4-inch thick. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with flour and reserve. Beat the egg with splash of water in a shallow dish.
Transfer the breadcrumbs to a plate and season with the herbs and poultry seasoning.
Heat a thin layer of EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Coat the chicken in the egg, followed by the breadcrumbs, then add to the pan. Sauté until golden and firm, 3-4 minutes on each side.