Chicken Greek-a-Tikka Salad with Parsley-Feta Pesto
Flavorful and easy, this is a fast yet elegant meal that everyone will think you spent hours preparing. Much of the prep work can be done ahead of time, so this is a great dish to serve when having company over. Double the pesto recipe or freeze leftover for use later with other meats or fish!
- 4 flat breads or pitas, any flavor or variety
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 2-2 1/2 pounds white meat chicken, cubed into bite-size pieces
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 6 pepperoncini hot peppers, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- Special equipment: metal skewers
Parsley Feta Pesto:
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Pre-heat a grill pan to high heat. Heat a toaster oven or oven to 250°F.
Wrap breads in foil and place in oven to warm.
Combine yogurt and next four ingredients. Coat chicken in mixture, then thread meat onto metal skewers. Brush grill pan with EVOO and grill meat 5-6 minutes on each side.
Combine chopped lettuce, chopped veggies, olives and hot peppers on a large platter or in a serving bowl. Dress the salad very lightly in lemon juice and EVOO and salt and pepper.
Place all ingredients for pesto in the food processor, except EVOO. Turn processor on and stream in EVOO.
Remove bread from oven and cut into wedges.
Place grilled meat on salad and top liberally with pesto. Place cut flat breads or pita wedges around the platter or serving bowl and serve.