Chicken in Chianti
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
This meal is sexy, simple and affordable.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 small ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 bottle Chianti wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dried figs, chopped or a fat handful of sultanas
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds or toasted pine nuts
- 10-12 sage leaves, very thinly sliced
- Crusty bread, for mopping
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in two batches to avoid crowding the pan until well-browned. Remove the cooked chicken pieces to a plate. Add the vegetables, garlic, red pepper flakes and bay leaves to the pot and sweat to soften, 7-8 minutes. Add the wine, bring to a bubble, then add the chicken pieces back to the pot and simmer, 35-40 minutes uncovered; you should have about 1 cup of liquid left. Add the stock and dried fruit; simmer for 8-10 minutes more to plump the fruit.
Garnish dish with nuts and sage, and serve in shallow bowls with bread for mopping.