Chicken Spiedies with Sesame Sauce
Marvelous marinade gives ordinary grilled chicken subs an extraordinary taste. Top with chopped hot pickled veggies and lettuce for added flavor.
- About 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced or grated
- A handful of basil leaves, thinly sliced
- A couple of tablespoons thyme, freshly chopped
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced, juice divided
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed into bite-size pieces
- Metal skewers
- 4 crusty foot-long rolls
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup drained giardiniera (pickled vegetable salad), chopped
Whisk up the EVOO, garlic, basil, thyme, zest of two lemons, juice of one lemon, parsley, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Take a couple of spoonfuls of the dressing and place in a second bowl. Stir the dressing together with the tahini, vinegar and juice of the remaining lemon and reserve this sesame sauce for dressing the subs. If it is too thick for drizzling, thin with a little water.
Add the diced chicken to the dressing and marinate for at least 1 hour or up to several hours.
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat or heat the outdoor grill.
Skewer the chicken on metal skewers and grill for 12-15 minutes, until cooked through. Char or toast the split sub rolls, then fill them with the shredded lettuce, hot pickled veggies and the chicken chunks. Drizzle with the sesame sauce and serve hot.