Chilled Greek-Style Tomato Soup with Avocado-Feta Salad
This refreshing summer soup takes inspiration from the flavors of a classic Greek salad, with the added cool creaminess of ripe avocado. In the summer, pick up some ripe heirloom tomatoes from your local farmer’s market to really kick up the freshness.
- 4 vine-ripe or Roma tomatoes (about 1 pound total), coarsely chopped
- 1 5.5-ounce can tomato-vegetable juice, such as V8
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine or sherry vinegar
- Zest and juice of a lemon, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ripe avocados, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
In the jar of a blender, combine the tomatoes, juice, garlic, onion, oregano, vinegar, lemon zest, and some salt and pepper. Puree the mixture until smooth and adjust the seasonings as needed with some salt and pepper or a dash more vinegar. Chill the soup for at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.
To serve the soup, toss the chopped avocados and feta together with the juice of the lemon. Ladle the soup into chilled bowls and garnish with the avocado & cheese. Serve.