Cran-Apple-Onion Open-Face Turkey Sammies
This is the perfect sammie for leftover turkey and cranberry sauce!
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 Gala apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons cranberry sauce, any style
- 8 slices easy-melting cheese, such as Havarti, Swiss or cheddar
- 12-16 slices leftover turkey or deli turkey
- 2 crusty rolls, split and toasted
Pre-heat the broiler.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apple and onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
Melt the remaining butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock and season with salt and pepper. Once thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, mix in the cranberry sauce. Dip the turkey slices into the gravy.
To assemble each sammie, stack 3-4 slices of turkey, some apple and onion mixture and extra gravy and top with two slices of cheese. Place under the broiler to melt and warm through.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.