Crispy Oven-Fried Turkey Patties with Bourbon BBQ Sauce
Cut calories, but not the taste with oven-fried turkey patties. Cover with fresh toppings and homemade bourbon barbecue sauce.
For the barbecue sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup, preferably organic
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 shots bourbon (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse black pepper
For the turkey patties and toppings:
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- 2-3 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs, beaten with a few dashes of hot sauce, salt and pepper
- About 1 1/2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Cooking spray
- 4 brioche or other soft sandwich rolls, split
- Toppings: shredded cabbage or lettuce, diced or sliced seeded tomatoes, chopped raw onion, chopped pickles
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
In a small saucepan, bring the BBQ sauce ingredients to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until thickened, 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the turkey, scallions, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper; form into four patties. Coat the patties in the flour, then the eggs, then the cornflakes. Spray a baking sheet with the cooking spray. Place the turkey patties on the sheet and spray the patties. Bake until crisp, 18-20 minutes.
Place the turkey patties on the rolls, doused with the sauce. Serve with the toppings of your choice.