Curry-Tomato Sauce with Whole Wheat Spaghetti and Chickpeas
This tasty pasta meal is especially easy and nutritious.
- 1 pound whole wheat or other whole grain spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Fresno or other fresh chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder (or about 2 teaspoons turmeric, 1 1/2 teaspoons each ground cumin and coriander and a scant 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and cardamom)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes (28-32 ounces)
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oounces), drained
- Grated aged goat cheese or tangy Pecorino-Romano cheese, for topping
- Flat leaf parsley or cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped, for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it and add the pasta. Cook to al dente; drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, a couple of turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the onion, chili pepper and garlic and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the curry powder (or your own curry blend) and season with salt. Stir to toast the spices for a minute. Deglaze the pan with the wine (or stock).
Add the tomatoes and crush with a potato masher or wooden spoon. Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced, 15-20 minutes.
Toss the pasta with the sauce and reserved pasta cooking water to combine. Top with the cheese and parsley (or cilantro).