Drunken Spaghetti with Black Kale
- 1 bottle dry Italian red wine
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 pound pancetta, smoked pancetta or speck, chopped into fine dice
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bundles of black, Tuscan or Dinosaur kale, thinly sliced
- Black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus some to shave at table
Pour the whole bottle of wine into a pasta pot and add about the same amount of water. Bring to a boil, salt the liquids and cook the pasta to just shy of al dente. Heads up: reserve a cup of starchy cooking liquid just before draining.
Meanwhile, heat a deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the pancetta and crisp, 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and swirl around for 2 minutes more. Add the kale and wilt into the pan and then season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste. Add the starchy cooking liquid and drained pasta and the grated cheese. Toss vigorously for at least a full minute, then serve in shallow bowls. Pass the Pecorino Romano to shave over the pasta at the table.