Forest Spread and Pâté Platter with Sliced Baguette
For a complete meal, serve with Trout Amandine, Steamed Asparagus and New Potatoes and Fresh Fruits and Dessert Cheeses.
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 8 ounces any flavor pâté (country or mousse-style), available in the specialty foods case at the grocery store, ask for tastings to choose
- 1 loaf baguette, sliced at the bread counter at the grocery store
- Cornichons, for garnish
- Capers, for garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Heat a skillet over moderate heat. Finely chop mushrooms in a food processor. Add the EVOO and butter to the skillet, then add the shallots and mushroom bits. Season mushroom mixture with ground thyme, salt and pepper.
Sauté shallots and chopped mushrooms until mushrooms are deep brown and tender, about 6 minutes. Deglaze pan with sherry. Transfer mushroom spread to a small bowl or other serving dish. Place mushroom dish on a platter alongside the store-bought pâté.
Garnish tray with sliced baguette, cornichons, capers, and a sprinkle of chopped parsley. Enjoy bread rounds with a slather of pâté topped with mushrooms.