Gorgonzola-Filled Meatballs with Bay and Onion Creamy Tomato Gravy
Serve with Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Spinach.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground veal
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 handfuls grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 handfuls plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons sage leaves, sliced or finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 8 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1/2 cup cream
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Place the meat in a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add in the garlic, egg and egg yolk, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, breadcrumbs and sage. Mix together with the meat and roll into eight large balls and arrange in a baking dish. Coat the balls with 2 tablespoons EVOO. Using the end of a wooden spoon, make an indentation half way into each ball and fill each cavity with some Gorgonzola cheese. Bake until golden and cooked through, 15-20 minutes.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO and butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the bay leaves and onions and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken stock and tomatoes and heat through, stir in the cream, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer to thicken slightly, 8-10 minutes.
Ladle the sauce into shallow bowls and top with big stuffed meatballs and Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Spinach alongside, if desired.