Green Onions and Rings Soup with Mini White Pizzettes
Serve pizzettes topped with herbed fresh ricotta cheese alongside this light pasta soup.
For the pizzettes:
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (about 1/2 pound), such as Dufour, thawed
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach (10 ounces), thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- A pinch of freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella (8 ounces), grated
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 leeks-trimmed, sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup ring or ditalini pasta
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
For the pizzettes, roll the pastry into a 12-inch x 9-inch rectangle and cut into 12 3-inch squares.Crimp the edges; divide between two parchment-lined baking sheets.
In a medium size bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta, parsley, lemon zest, garlic and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Mound the ricotta mixture on the pastry squares. Top with the mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano and bake until golden, 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the EVOO over medium-high. Add the leeks, scallions and garlic; season. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the wine, let cook for 1 minute, then add the stock and bring to a simmer. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Just before serving, stir in the lemon zest and juice. Serve the soup with the pizzettes.