Grilled Fish Sammies with Garlic Tarter Sauce and Baked Waffle Fries with Spicy Ketchup and a Slaw Salad
- 1 pound store-bought waffle fries
- 4 skinless fillets white fish (6 ounces each), such as halibut
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, choppe
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, to taste
- 1 lemon
- Celery salt, to season fries
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 8 green or red leaf lettuce leaves
For the Slaw Salad:
- 1 bulb fennel with tops, thinly sliced, plus 1/4 cup fennel tops
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
Bake the fries for 20 minutes, or according to package directions, turning once.
Heat a skillet, grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
Season the fish with salt and pepper and coat with about 1 tablespoon EVOO.
Toast the rolls on the grill or grill pan or heat the broiler and set them in the middle of the oven to brown, then reserve.
Combine the mayonnaise with the grated garlic, capers, olives, parsley.
Combine the ketchup with Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, horseradish and lots of black pepper.
Cook the fish 3-4 minutes on each side until firm, opaque and cooked through. Squeeze the lemon over the cooked fish.
Remove the fries from the oven and season with celery salt and pepper.
Place fish on rolls with lettuce, red onion and tartar sauce. Serve the fries alongside with the ketchup.
Next, make the slaw salad: in a large bowl, combine the fennel, fennel tops and red cabbage. In a separate small bowl, combine the honey, cider vinegar, grill seasoning, poppy seeds and sesame seeds. Slowly whisk in the EVOO. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss together.
Serve the slaw salad alongside the fish sammies and fries.