Grilled Pizza Planks a la Norma
Same ingredients as you’ll find in Pasta a la Norma, but this time on grilled in a sammie.
- Two 1-pound eggplants, tops and bottoms discarded, cut crosswise into 12 slices each
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- 1 loaf crusty Italian semolina bread, halved crosswise, then each half split lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into 6 slices each
- 1 bunch basil, stems discarded
- Two 1-pound balls smoked mozzarella, cut into 8 slices each
Pre-heat a grill or broiler to medium-high. Brush each eggplant round on both sides with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, about 5 minutes (or broil for 10 minutes).
Grill the four bread pieces until lightly charred on both sides. Rub with the garlic, brush with EVOO and season with salt.
Layer each piece of bread with the grilled eggplant, tomato slices, basil leaves and mozzarella slices. Grill the sandwiches, covered, until the cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes.