Grilled Ratatouille with Ricotta and Charred Bread
All the flavors of ratatouille on an open faced sammie, deliciously paired with ricotta salata cheese.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 8 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 8 sprigs thyme, finely chopped (remove leaves from stems)
- 4 sprigs rosemary, leaves finally chopped (remove from stem)
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini, halved crosswise and sliced 1/2-inch thick, lengthwise
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered and seeded
- 1 large eggplant, sliced 1/2-inch thick, lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound ricotta salata cheese, sliced
- 4 pieces of crusty bread, sliced thick
- 1 cup pitted black olives, chopped
Pre-heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan to medium-high.
In a large bowl, combine the EVOO, garlic, parsley, sage, thyme and rosemary.
Coat the zucchini and peppers with some of the oil mixture and set aside. Coat the eggplant with the remaining oil mixture. Season the vegetables liberally with salt and pepper. Grill the eggplant steaks, turning twice, for 10 minutes. Grill the peppers for 7 minutes and the zucchini for 5 minutes, turning each once. Divide the vegetables among dinner plates or arrange on a platter. Top with the cheese.
Grill the bread and slather with the olives. Serve alongside the vegetables.